[cdt-dev] CDT 1.2 Builds

Hey gang, I have my automated release engineering plugin up and running
and have done two builds off of HEAD called 1.2.0.1 and 1.2.0.2 which
should be identical.  The plugin uploads the build results to the
following update site:

        http://update.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/updates/builds/1.2

I have managed to automate renumbering the versions on the plugins,
fragments, and features in their associated xml files.  This allows you to
use the Update Manager to upgrade your Eclipse install to get the new
builds (and theoretically to roll back to older builds).  And that's why I
did two builds to test that this works.

I am not committing these number changes into CVS so what you see there
will not reflect these version numbers.  My thoughts are that this should
be O.K. since the source feature should give you a snapshot of the source
and you should be able to debug problems in a given build using this
source.

Right now I am initiating the builds manually but will set up a cron job
to do it at regular intervals.  The plugin implements the application
extension point that will allow us to fire it up headless from the command
line while allowing us to take advantage of several (mind you internal)
interfaces to do things like CVS checkout, PDE xml file updates and
invoking the build.  I'd like to check in the plugin into CVS but there is
no rush since only people with write access to the eclipse download site
can actually run the build.  If you are interested in seeing the source, I
can zip it up and send it to you.  (Maybe I'll post it to the patch list
anyway...)

Please give the update site a try and provide me with any feedback you may
have.  I am also interested in the frequency at which you think we should
be running the build.  My current thinking is Monday, Wednesday, and
Friday early mornings.  I'd like to do it more than once a week but daily
probably isn't necessary, yet.  And, of course, we can always increase the
frequence and run the builds on demand.

Cheers,
Doug Schaefer
Senior Software Developer