Re: [cdt-dev] Re: CDT Parsing Callback

> This is a multipart message in MIME format.
> --=_alternative 0071003D85256D1E_=
>
> I do plan to formalize some external interfaces for the work that we have
> done (and plan to do) in the next CDT release (2.0?).  That being said,
> IParserCallback is not yet near complete, as the parser still does not
> parse statements and expressions fully.
>
> Referring to internal interfaces within the CDT core is not pretty, but
> its not the end of the world either. :-)  My concern in creating an
> external interface too early is that we are still in the process of
> scoping out the work required to be done for the next release; I would be
> interested in discovering (soon!) the parser-related requirements that
> your CDT-based products (Momentics, TimeStorm, etc.), as right now we are
> focusing on getting the indexer/search enabled.

I was not thinking of the CDT-based products, the callback is necessary for the CDT
to get things like indexer/search/StructureCreator etc .. working.

An example, is how JDT is doing the indexer.  The callback is

	ISourceElementRequestor {
		void acceptImport(..);
		void acceptMethod(..);
	}

The indexer implements this and passes it to the JavaParser and when
the elements are found adds them to the index table.

The same for the JavaStructureCreator, the callback is to get the elements
and the result is shown in a visual diff.

My opinion is that we probably do not need to drill inside the blocks(well
we'll have to reevaluate for Code Assist/Completion ...) at the moment, meaning we
do not need the entire AST, no need for statements/expressions etc ..

What the new parser is currently providing is enough.  What it does not provide
is a way to get the elements:

	ICSourceElementRequestor {
		void acceptInclude(...);
		void acceptFunction(...);
	}

We used to have a IParserCallBack, but it is inadequate/incomplete to be
of real use.