Re: [cdt-dev] is Win98 a supported platform ?

At 11:52 AM 4/21/2003 -0400, Alain Magloire wrote:

        Our Spawner JNI code does not work on Win98 ?

I don't see 98 as an important platform. You can't get anything Windows except XP from Dell and we work on XP just fine. This is a problem that time will solve because the number of active use Win 98 boxes is going to go down at a nice clip now.

This make the CDT non-functionnal on Win98 using the Spawner class.
A few solutions:

(1) Fall back to java.lang.Process

My personal opinion is that this is unworkable with the current version of java.lang.Process. Process is just missing too many important features that Spawner provides.

I still have not packaged them up and submitted the patch, but we have a version of the spawner that allows you to set the priority on process invocation. Given Win32's bad time slicing for greedy PRI_NORMAL tasks, we've found it's absolutely essential to getting reasonable UI responsiveness whenever you are spawning anything of consequence in the background.

Thanks!
-Chris

Back to the top