From: Sebastien Marineau [mailto:sebastien@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 10:50 AM
To: 'cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: [cdt-dev] CPPUnit update

Hi all,

Rational's CPPUnit team, Michel Paquet, John Duimovich,
Erich Gamma and I held a conference call this morning
to discuss the CPPUnit Eclipse integration. The approach being
proposed is to have CPPUnit as a contributed plugin to the CDT (similar
to the approach the JDT took with JUnit initially). In detail, here's
how this would work:

- We will host the source to the CPPUnit plugin under the CDT umbrella.
However,
the CDT release schedule will not be affected or dependent on the
contributed
CPPUnit plugin.

- We will feature the CPPUnit as a contributed plugin on the web page and
welcome
screens (I expect that in the future, as more plugins integrate with
CDT, this list will grow).

- It was also proposed that we set up a feature download site, and have the
CPPUnit plugin available there. As a side note, we should also start
providing
updates to CDT itself in this fashion.

- Over time, we'll monitor what the interest and response from the community
for the CPPUnit plugin. If the response is positive, we can consider rolling
it into the CDT itself. On the other hand, we may find there's interest in
integrating alternative test frameworks, so we may end up with
multiple contributed test plugins.

Christophe Telep, who's driving this from the Rational/IBM side,
will be forwarding to cdt-dev the slides he presented this morning.
We also suggested he host an open conference call over the next week,
to discuss the project and gather feedback (and maybe recruit
volunteers to help out!).

Comments and feedback welcome!

Sebastien