Re: [cdt-dev] CppUnit integration

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:01:42 +0100, Lescuyer, Martin <mlescuyer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From this, the CDT works the same without this plugin. But making a parallel
with the JDT, my thought is that it can be part of the CDT.
Then the question is "Does the CppUnit framework itself should be part of
the CDT or not".

I think the Java parallel is potentially misleading here. CppUnit has nothing *like* the mindshare among C++ developers that JUnit has for Java or NUnit for C#. A lot of people use other test frameworks (Boost.Test, cxxunit, home-grown), and even those that do use CppUnit generally end up modifying it to suit their own preferences. Pure C shops might not take too well to a C++ test framework either. Where there's a major investment in test code for some other framework, people aren't going to want to rewrite all that code by hand, and trying to convert it automagically doesn't sound like much fun.

I can see a standardized unit-test plugin interface or a recommended easily-parsed stdout format being very useful; folk could just write adaptors or sed scripts or whatever for their own framework. But I'm worried that bundling vanilla CppUnit with the CDT would just bulk up the distro without getting much use.

Cheers,
Mike

Back to the top