From: Alain Magloire [mailto:alain@xxxxxxx]
Sent: February 10, 2003 9:56 PM
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] CEditor bombs in M5

> Thanks, Alain, it sounds like we are going to need a concerted effort to
> ensure the Core Model is up to snuff.  Hoda and I have really just been
> focused on source elements and trying to make them like their piers in the
> JDT.  We really haven't had a good understanding of what you are trying to
> do with binary artifacts.  Your mail helps, but would it be possible to
get
> your ideas in a more complete document form so that we can make sure they
> are properly integrated?

Ok.
... wait ... did you say docs?? What's that?

8-)

The Java environment(JDT) is a great example but it does not have to
put up with heteroclite environment as the C/C++.

For example, what good is an C IDE, if for a day-to-day operation
like inspecting an archive, you have to switch to an xterm and
execute:

# ar t libfoo.a

Getting refactoring et all in is great(and I can not wait) but the IDE
should also help in some mundane tasks, for example, stripping a binary

# strip executable

or discovering the needed shared libraries of an excutable, the debugger
can be very smart about this and automatically downloade the libraries
on the target.

# objdump -x executable |grep NEEDED

Part of this is already in place, for example the Property view
will show the needed shared libraries, type of CPU, BSS, etc ..
if an Elf shared library is selected in the C/C++ project view.

I'll sit down with some folks here and put on paper what we had in mind for
the API Core Model, indexer and all ...