[cdt-dev] C Parser Papers

Hey there folks,

I was just doing some other work when I came across the following paper which I thought
was interesting (haven't fully read it yet) but :

Some, S.S. and Lethbridge, T. (1997), "Minimizing Parsing when Extracting information from Code in the Presence of Conditional Compilation", 6th IEEE International Workshop on Program Comprehension, Italy, June, pp 118-125. A longer version appears as University
of Ottawa Computer Science Technical Report TR-98-01

Workshop: Postscript PDF http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~tcl/papers/condcomp/IWPC98.pdf TR-98-01: Postscript PDF http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~tcl/papers/condcomp/TR-98-01.pdf

Abstract:
Exploring and understanding a software system requires parsing its source code to extract necessary information. This task is complicated by the use of conditional compilation, a means offered by several programming languages for selective compilation of source code based on conditions. In this paper, we discuss difficulties in parsing code with conditional compilation. We argue that the effective way to ensure the extraction of all meaningful information from a source file is to parse a set of versions of that file defined by conditional compilation, and describe an heuristic based approach for the minimization of such parsing.

Back to the top