From: Ed Burnette [mailto:Ed.Burnette@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 10:49 AM
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [cdt-dev] New build paradigms

I think CDT should support 3 types of builds out of the box:

   1. (The default) A make-less build modeled on the JDT. CDT would know (through preferences) the commands and options needed to compile sources and link objects. Incremental builds would be done on saves.

   2. Building with Ant, which would leverage all the Ant development work already going on, and
   3. Building with an external Make tool. Since Make files are not as parseable and rewritable as Ant files they would have to be created by hand, mainly for legacy projects.

--
"Yes, Virginia, it is possible to create a software development environment which is so difficult to use that no human being can do it." - Joel Spolsky