RE: [cdt-dev] New build paradigms

> I think CDT should support 3 types of builds out of the box:
>
>    1. (The default) A make-less build modeled on the JDT. CDT
> would know (through preferences) the commands and options
> needed to compile sources and link objects. Incremental
> builds would be done on saves.

Yep.  This would be cool.

>    2. Building with Ant, which would leverage all the Ant
> development work already going on, and
>    3. Building with an external Make tool. Since Make files
> are not as parseable and rewritable as Ant files they would
> have to be created by hand, mainly for legacy projects.

Aren't these two options really the same thing?  Generate a
build script (for ant or make), then execute an external tool
to perform the build.

Once build type #1 is in place, generating a simple Makefile
(or script for other build tools) should be about as difficult
as generating an ant build script.

Overall, this is what I would much rather see - a build system
where a user can get JDT-like behavior in the IDE, with plugins
that offer the ability to generate build scripts for various
external tools.

Thinking about it, this is a feature that could potentially be
rolled back into Eclipse proper - have an extension point where
that a plugin can implement, where it declares what type of
project it's interested in and what type of build script it
creates.

-Samrobb

Back to the top