[cdt-dev] Re: Nightly Builds

OK, moving to cdt-dev...

Jeff Turnham wrote:

Hi Again,

The fact that your "make dev" failed will mean that your build of the cdt
will not work.  "make all" will simply attempt to build the
org.eclipse.cdt.dstore.core directory and will also not really work since it
assumes that a "make dev" has been done.
Let me step back and explain a little bit about that makefile.

after "cvs co com.ibm.debug.daemon" and a "make clean-dev", "make dev" now works. The slightly revised process is:

1.  Make sure you have a jdk that is at least version 1.3
2.  export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/home/tools
3.  Goto the <..>/eclipse/plugins directory
4.  cvs checkout cdt com.ibm.debug.daemon
5.  cd org.eclipse.cdt.dstore.core
6.  make dev

It had a problem building org.eclipse.cdt.cpp.ui... so I did:

7.  cd ../org.eclipse.cdt.cpp.ui
8.  make clean
8.  make

at which point it failed (as you explained, it's currently unstable, so this was expected). At least I can now start to look at java bugs that are probably beyond my near-term comprehension... I attached a log in case anybody is curious...

Currently only a subset of the CDT plugins need to be built.  The LPEX
Editor plugin and the Debug plugins are not built since they already contain
pre-built jars.  This is because we get them from other teams with other
build processes.  It is possible that we will change things so that
everything gets built out of our cvs (for consistency).

so I assume that there is a similar 6 step process for LPEX and Debug? Is anybody looking at unifying the build process?

I realize that doing a complete build from source is on the schedule, but if we get there sooner rather than later it will be easier for people to get started with Eclipse.

There is only 1 makefile for all of the CDT in CVS and that is
org.eclipse.cdt.dstore.core/makefile.  This makefile is used to generate
makefiles for all the plugins in the CDT.  The command to do this is "make
dev".  This actually goes into the "build" sub-directory and compiles\runs
GenerateMakefiles.java which is a utility that creates simple makefiles in
every sub-directory of every plugin that needs to be built in the CDT.  The
unfortunate thing is that this requires you have your PATH pointing to a jdk
somewhere.  I am going to open a feature against myself to look at replacing
this with a perl script.  I suspect this is what your problem with running
"make dev" was.  If not, then can you provide a copy of the output of the
failed command.

alternatively, you could just try and run javac -help and print a "can't find javac, is JDK in PATH?" error...

Once all sub-directories have makefiles, "make dev" then starts a build of
all "buildable" CDT plugins.  Once "make dev" has finished, you then have a
complete build enviroment.  For example you then can browse to any directory
that has CDT source and type "make" to build just from that directory.  This
process has worked well for us internally but has not been exercised in
different environments.   Please feel free to send us your
comments\suggestions.  Actually the cdt-dev mailing list would be a more
appropriate place than this newsgroup.

So is there a way to traverse all of the CDT plugins and "make" in all of them? I thought that's what make dev did, but it doesn't sound like it from your paragraph.

Hope that helps...

Jeff Turnham