Re: [cdt-debug-dev] GUI vs. commands to handle target specifics

I would like to add a couple of points here:
- for *beginners* with Eclipse, setting up your first (or second...) launch configuration is a minefield. Out-of-the-box Eclipse 3.2 just presents you with a list of configuration types and offers very little help. A setup wizard would be very very helpful here. I know the DSDP group are looking at that. - Again, for the inexperienced user, a GUI does help. People migrating from the incumbant embedded tools suppliers (Kiel, IAR, Crossworks etc) expect everything to 'just work' with simple configuration options.

What we have in CDT (and Oyvinds plugin) works, but usability is poor.

---
Derek

Øyvind Harboe wrote:
There is a lot of enthusiasm for building the ultimate GUI that can
potentially support all possible hardware.

Personally, the idea fails to excite me and I find it disturbing that
so much CDT talent is diverted to discuss/create a GUI to handle
target startup instead of boring bug fixes to the generic GDB support.
I find that once CDT GDB support(like our plugin) supports startup
commands, the residual lacking support for target specifics is dwarfed
by more generic CDT GDB requirements(like having breakpoints work
properly).

The problem is that a development/product board could require just
about any conceivable weird procedure before the debugger is let loose
on it. GDB commands is kinda like a programming language with its
flexibility and power. A GUI just seems like the wrong tool as it is
limited to whatever the developer of the GUI managed to dream up
beforehand.

If a platform is well understood, fairly static in its properties and
popular, a GUI is great.

BTW, the Zylin Embedded CDT plugin handles target connection via a
script typically like the script below, which should cover the
sensible GDB servers(TCP/IP) and less sensible targets that have
embedded some board specific into GDB(e.g. target bdi)

target <whatever>
monitor XXX   // program flash???
monitor YYY // reset??

Back to the top