[cdt-debug-dev] Thread mix-up when debugging multi-threaded programs

Hi,

I recently switched from Eclipse 3.1.2 / CDT 3.0.2 / GDB 6.3 to Eclipse 3.2 / CDT 3.1 / GDB 6.3 and discovered a very annoying bug in the CDT Debug view when debugging multi-threaded programs. When you select the topmost frame in another thread in the Debug view, that frame will be selected. However, when trying to singlestep the newly selected thread, the topmost frame of the previous thread is erroneously selected again. By selecting, the topmost frame of the intended thread again, you will notice that the singlestep operation really happened and you can from here on singlestep in the new thread without being switched back. However, when selecting a new thread again, the same problem happens again and you have to reselect the new thread to be able to continue.

There seems to be some inconstistency about which thread is the current between the Debug view and the CDT debug model or between different parts of the CDT debug model. This bug did not exist in Eclipse 3.1.2 / CDT 3.0.2.

I have searched the Eclipse bug database for any bugs about this and found the bug 151253 "Singlestepping a multi-thread program to fast results in unexpected behavior" which I thought could be related to this problem. Bug 151253 has been fixed in the CDT 3.1.1 branch so I downloaded the I200608210800 nightly build of CDT 3.1.1 but unfortunately the thread switching problem problem still exists.

Is this a known problem with CDT 3.1? Otherwise, I can file a bug report.

Regards,
Stefan

Back to the top