AW: [cdt-debug-dev] Call for Input For CDT Fall Conference: CDTUsability

Hello Martin,

here are the most notable points from our experience at Siemens:

+ Easy installation of eclipse is generally appreciated
+ It is also very easy to get eclipse to build on top of an existing makefile project
+ Development frequently uses "enhanced editors" and eclipse is widely seen to offer more comfort / productivity than these tools. (You'll never convince a true vi fan, though :-))

o Typical project sizes are from 3.5k to 5k source files (e.g. eCos plus an application)

- The build command (Menu Project --> Build all or Build Project) is very unreliable: Sometimes a full build is scheduled when only an incremental is required and frequently no build is scheduled even though files were changed so that developpers generally have to think up workarounds to get a build scheduled (like requesting to build make targets, or making changes to project properties).
- The indexer frequently hangs or crashes (Out of Memory Error) on the eCos sources on a linux machine with 500 Meg memory.
- If it does not crash it takes about 1-2 hours to build it's index every time eclipse is started (I know that this issue will be addressed by persisting indexer results).
- Source navigation is very unreliable for bigger projects, e.g. navigating from declaration to definition fails to work (e.g. see bugzilla 109506)
- Group-wise manipulation of resource properties would be fine, like excluding subdirectories from build rather than having to set the property on each individual file. A similar tedious task is having to change the same project property in many individual projects. (We have a scenario where there are around 70 projects in the workspace)

Hope this helps you to round up your presentation.

Thanks for the opportunity to grumble a little :-)

Norbert