RE: [cdt-debug-dev] Re:Re: Using CDT as avr-gdb frontent for AVR target platforms

I will answer which ones I can...

1.  In general, any port of GDB which was created from the original sources on gnu.org will have support for the MI interfaces.  In order to get the "mi1" interface that CDT wants, you will need GDB 5.2 or higher.  I am not familiar with Øyvind's particular GDB port but I assume it fulfils this requirement.

2.  I will leave for Øyvind to answer since it's his patch :-)

3.  The easiest way to find out what CDT is doing with the debugger is to run CDT under a runtime workbench debug session under Eclipse and turn on trace for the org.eclipse.cdt.debug.mi.core plug-in.  You do this via the "Tracing" tab under your debug configuration for the runtime workbench.  This will log all of the data that is sent back and forth to and from GDB to the console window of your Eclipse debugger.

Now... Soapbox time again!  :-)

Re: your PS, I definitely agree that for most users the simple solution is fine.  However, the amount that fall into the "other" category is still larger than you think, and more important than you think.

For a lot of the companies contributing to the CDT such as us at TI, those customers are our bread and butter.  I can't say no to thousands of both existing and potential customers that need a solution which solves the kind of problems I described.

I especially can't say no when they are buying literally hundreds of millions (probably even billions over the course of more than a year) of dollars worth of chips from us.  Money talks :-)

Anyway, to clarify my original point from a previous post, I don't think we want either space to suffer.  I wouldn't advocate pushing my RT/MP debug at the expense of the quality of the support for the GNU toolchain.  What I'm saying is that it's important to eventually do both, and do them reasonably well.

I'm not advocating just enabling the debug paradigms that I think meet my needs either though.  I think we should enable and encourage any kind of debugging we can.  As a for instance, I would love to see the day where I could stop using MS Dev Studio and use CDT to develop and debug MFC/Win32 applications.  Or hell, Cocoa programs for the Mac (although I think they're written in Objective C as opposed to regular C, aren't they?).  The possibilities are endless...

As a cheesy actor once said... "If you build it, they will come..."

Chris Recoskie
Software Designer
IDE Frameworks Group
Texas Instruments, Toronto