Re: [cdt-debug-dev] Re: Using CDT as avr-gdb frontent for AVR tar get platforms

For what it's worth, I hear the same thing from our users. They want full gdb command line.

On a personal note, about 7 years back at a semi conductor startup I was running a tools team working on Linux and doing quite a bit of code myself. Engineering was ahead of marketing and once marketing got it together, they moved us from Linux to Win32.

In that transition I went from working in emacs/gdb to Devstudio 5. (I think it was 5, maybe we started with 4). The transition took a while, but at the end of it we were just as productive in Devstudio and I did not miss the GDB command line at all.

I think that the goal of scriptable but no required command line use is the right design goal. There will always be experienced GDB users who want the command line, but the UI can get good enough that they will be the only folks asking for it.

Thanks!
-Chris

At 07:16 PM 5/20/2004 +0200, Øyvind Harboe wrote:
>I think that the solution is to use the current extension point to
>create a totally user customizable version of the debugger.

Please induldge me when I get up on my soapboax:

The reason why the CDT debugger is in such dire straits(i.e. that stuff
that is trivial to do under GDB/DDD/Insight is darn hard under CDT), is
that CDT is not delegating the problems to the right "solution
paradigms".

Example of "solution paradigms":

- GUI
- GDB command line
- Plugins

* The problem of how to let the user examine local/global variables
should be handled by "GUI". Leaving it to "GDB command line" is a
painful.

* The problem of how to attach to the target should be handled by "GDB
command line".

If you give this problem to "GUI and Plugins", all hell breaks loose.

No harm is done by adding buttons to CDT that simply issue issue "target
remote foo", "run", "load", "continue", "attach 55" to GDB. This is what
DDD/Insight does. Attaching to target is still handled by "GDB command
line"

Be proud and embrace the GDB command line for it is powerful! :-)

Every command the user enters can take the debugger in a *completely*
different direction.

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com