Re: [cdt-debug-dev] CDI wrapper for Microsoft command-line debugger CDB?

> I've been thinking about writing a CDI wrapper around Microsoft's
> little-known command-line kernel/application debugger "CDB", which is a
> command-line version of the somewhat more known WinDbg. CDB can be found
> at: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/ddk/debugging/
>
> CDB is in many ways similar to gdb (but with even more cryptical commands!
> :-)). The output seems quite straightforward, and (hopefully) easy to
> parse. Since WinDbg is already wrapping CDB in a GUI, it can't be
> completely impossible to to.
>
> CDB can not debug gcc compiled binaries, but it can debug binaries compiled
> with Microsofts compilers, which gdb can't debug.
>
> Having such a CDI implementation would greatly facilitate a migration from
> Microsoft Visual Studio to Eclipse/CDT.
>
> Has anyone else been thinking about this?

Sounds good
There was an idea to provide a bare-bone implementation using the Win32 debugger API.
But before doing this, part of the CDI has to be reshape to better deal with Multi-processors
and threads.  I'm still curious to see the result with the Win32 Debugger API, but
CDB integration would be lovely.  Email me if you need more info on the new CDI.

Back to the top