Re: [cdt-debug-dev] Using Eclipse for remote debugging

Alain Magloire wrote:

> > Maybe I've posed the wrong question.
> > I'm now running sparc-elf-gdb connected via the extended-remote protocol to
> > my
> > personal debug-server (located on the same host machine). The debug server is
> > connected via a serial cable to a hardware debug unit that I've on a remote
> > sparc processor. On top of that I usually I run ddd.
> >
> > My question is : can Eclipse take the control over gdb like ddd does?
> >
> > PS:
> >     in the DebuggerTab I've only GDB as option.
> >
> > Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm new on Eclipse and GSB interfaces.
> >

> - Eclipse will do the same as ddd(I think, not knowing ddd), it will connect to
> the host:port or serial that the gdbserver is running.  This mean that somehow you
> will have started gdbserver on the target and uploaded the application
> on the target.

I can't run gdbserver, I've to run my own debug-server usually on the same machine
than gdb (not on the target in any case). Then I start sparc-elf-gdb with target
extended-remote host:xxxx. This allows gdb to download and run a program to the
target usign the my debug-server.

Am I right to suppose that Eclipse talks directely to gdb and the communication
channel between gtb and my debug-server is don't care ?

If so I've probably only to switch on "-gdb-set auto-solib-add on"  in gdb. (I can
verify it only tomorrow in the office).

Last two questions:
    - what is the GDB/MI protocol ?
    - does Eclipse starts gdb when a debug session is started or have I to start it
outside and Eclipse simple try to take the control over it ?

Thanks Joel