RE: [cdt-debug-dev] Remote debugging

> Maybe this sort of functionality is better suited to an Eclipse "feature,"
> rather than a patch to the current debug code?  (it's a genuine question, not a
> rhetorical one)

Actually, I've got it implemented as a feature right now.  That's led to one
or two problems, and it would be easier all around if the basic functionality
was integrated with the other C debugging work.

The initial patch would be pretty slim:  add public methods to the ICDISession
and ICDITarget interfaces to support establishing a remote connection with the
debug server, add a method to the CDebugModel for creating a new remote
debug target, and add a few MI command classes.

Right now, I'm passing remote connection parameters as a String[].  That works
for me, but I'm open to other suggestions (an interface to describe target
connection interface, for example.)

The intent is to add the core changes needed to support adding remote debugging
feature(s) at some time in the future.

> I haven't had a chance to get my hands dirty with any of the Eclipse internals
> yet, but maybe this is a good place to start.  Can I help?

Phew!  I can think of easier places to start :-)  If it wasn't for the find command
in Eclipse, I think I'd still be trying to understand how it all fit together.

-Samrobb

Back to the top