Re: [cdt-debug-dev] First draft of CDI is posted.

Tom> It seems like there must also be an event indicating that a new
Tom> breakpoint has been created.  The user might create a breakpoint using
Tom> "b main" in the console window, and this information must propagate to
Tom> the UI.

Mikhail> The result of "b main" can be used as a notification that a
Mikhail> breakpoint is created.

I don't understand.

I thought what would happen is that `b main' would generate some
output for the console window.  It would also generate an MI event
indicating that a new breakpoint has been made.  I think this MI event
has to propagate to the UI; I think we definitely want to avoid
parsing whatever output goes to the console.

Tom> Ok.  But it is less useful to let the user set a breakpoint where
Tom> it doesn't make sense to set one, for instance in the middle of a
Tom> comment (or "#if 0" code).  It seems to me that it would be more
Tom> friendly, UI-wise, to present this information to the user when
Tom> it is available.

Mikhail> Agree. But this is a responsibility of the parser.

The parser can't have the same information.  At least, not unless it
is fully integrated with the build.  Some programs have big #ifdef
regions -- and these are precisely the programs that benefit most from
this feature.

Tom

Back to the top