Re: [cdt-dev] Re: [cdt-debug-dev] enabling CDT to use multiple debuggers

Tom:
> I completely agree, it is a mess, largely (imho) because the gdb MI
> support is not quite finished.

This is an argument for MI later rather than sooner,
since it has been a (slowly) moving target for three or four years
and may have another three or four years of instability to go.

But the fact that the current code supports a backlevel MI ("mi0")
is encouraging, if it is a trend that will continue as MI evolves
and we target a specific current MI level we should be able to
continue working with newer gdbs.

> I suppose it would be possible to have Eclipse check the gdb version
> at (gdb) startup and notify the user that it is too old.  (I'm not
> sure this is really a worthwhile path to go down...)

I'd say it is definitely worth doing.
It is the difference between a user being able to diagnose a version
mismatch themselves, vs. having a mysterious failure that they either
give up on or have to go to the newsgroup for help.

Brian Thomson

Back to the top