Re: [cdt-debug-dev] Questions to be posted to GDB Mailing List regarding MI - comments?

Tom,

Thank you very much for your response.

Tom > The one major comment I have is that I think this would be improved
if
Tom > you said what you would like gdb to do.  For instance, something
like:

Tom >    We'd like to let our users continue to use the CLI, and see
CLI-style
Tom >    output, while our GUI simultaneously interacts with gdb using MI.
So
Tom >    we'd like to change the definition of MI to support this, and have
all
Tom >    commands change their output style based on whether they are
invoked
Tom >    via the CLI or MI.

Tom > What do you think of that?

I think this is a great suggestion.  It summarizes what we want and what we
want to achieve.
I will add them at the end of question 2.

Samantha> - "info program" - to find inferior's PID so we can kill it
Tom > That's interesting.  Does `kill' not do what you want?

I should rephrase it to:

"info program" - to find inferior's PID so we can interrupt it.

We really want to interrupt the program instead of killing the program.
We need the program id so that we can send it a SIGINT signal outside
of gdb while the program is running in a loop.  "kill" or "interrupt"
does not really do the job here since we cannot submit any command
to gdb when the program is running.

Tom > There are some fairly recent long threads about this sort of thing on
Tom > the gdb list.  Look for information about the GVD GUI, which got
Tom > confused due to gdb's (new) habit of using realpath on file names.

Thanks.  I will look for this thread of discussion and see if I can get
anything out
of it.

Regards,
Samantha

                    Tom Tromey
                    <tromey@xxxxxxxxxx>         To:     cdt-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                    cc:
                    cdt-debug-dev-admin@e       Subject:     Re: [cdt-debug-dev] Questions to be posted to GDB
                    clipse.org                   Mailing List regarding MI - comments?

                    04/19/2002 09:04 PM
                    Please respond to
                    cdt-debug-dev

Samantha> Before we post these questions, we would like to receive
Samantha> some feedback from you.  Please review the questions and let
Samantha> me know if you have any additional comments or concerns.

I think this document is fine.  I do have a comment and a question,
but they are pretty minor and just for my own edification.

The one major comment I have is that I think this would be improved if
you said what you would like gdb to do.  For instance, something like:

    We'd like to let our users continue to use the CLI, and see CLI-style
    output, while our GUI simultaneously interacts with gdb using MI.  So
    we'd like to change the definition of MI to support this, and have all
    commands change their output style based on whether they are invoked
    via the CLI or MI.

What do you think of that?

Samantha> - "info program" - to find inferior's PID so we can kill it

That's interesting.  Does `kill' not do what you want?

Samantha> Can you suggest an alternative for us to obtain the source
Samantha> of the debugee under MI?

There are some fairly recent long threads about this sort of thing on
the gdb list.  Look for information about the GVD GUI, which got
confused due to gdb's (new) habit of using realpath on file names.

Tom