[cbi-dev] Allowing 3rd party "bots" to vote on Gerrit reviews

Hi all,

I've learned today about how OpenStack allows 3rd party testing: http://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/third_party.html

We (JBoss Tools Team) are interested in a similar thing at Eclipse.org. A first iteration would be simply that we enable a Gerrit trigger plugin on a Jenkins of ours, looking at some Gerrit patches for some Eclipse.org projects. We would use it for example to check APIs, to verify our code isn't fully broken by a change, and/or many other things we can think about that allow us to automate our declaration of concerns for an incoming change.
Technically, it seems to be an easy thing to do: just create a "bot" Eclipse.org account (I believe we already have one for MarketPlace), and give it the Gerrit "Stream Events" permission. Once this is done, all the efforts are on our side, and our Jenkins would add +1/-1 on some Eclipse.org patches.

Some of our quality criteria are stricter than the ones requested for Eclipse projects. This mechanism would allow us to automatically check those and share our "disagreement" when a change is worrying us from our consumer perspective. The vote would be a -1, like any Eclipse.org contributor is already allowed to put on any Gerrit contribution. The -1 is by no mean a blocking one; and the final decision of how to handle such -1 would still be up to the project committers. In no way we want it to change how project handle their changes and to block them, it would only be an additional piece of information on the Gerrit review.

Would the Eclipse Foundation/Infrastructure crew be open to this?
Cheers,
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat