[cbi-dev] A note on Eclipse hardware

In the past, Eclipse servers have always been optimized for parallel operations vs. single-threaded speeds (ie, lots of RAM and more CPU cores vs. faster CPU speed). However, after some insightful conversations at EclipseCon last week, it's obvious that not every aspect of the build and test process can be made to run in parallel.

That means a job that takes 10 minutes on your blazing-fast i7 laptop takes about 30 minutes on our slow-but-robust e5520.

While it's nearly impossible for us to match the speed of desktop/laptop machines (server hardware tends to be slower, and since it's shared with others, well...), for future servers we will try to balance single-threaded operation performance with multiple concurrent running jobs.

If you have build/test jobs that run for extended periods, try splitting them up; or try running a reduced test set for those Gerrit trigger jobs. This will help prevent all your executors from being tied up by jobs that seemingly never end.

Denis

Back to the top