Re: [cbi-dev] Unifying p2 & maven

On 12/05/2012 10:49 PM, Andrew Ross wrote:
I agree with you. There are some things that don't make sense to distribute as a Maven repository. Others however make good sense as they are consumed outside of Eclipse.
EMF (core) is a good example here, Some jars are independent of Eclipse and make a lot of sense to embed in a GWT or an Android application.
SWT also like to release as plain jars.

For such use case, we could think about project having configuration for 2 build systems: 1 for Eclipse (Tycho - or Buckminster) and 1 for the whole Java world. In that case, there could be 2 poms per-project: a pom.xml which would be a tycho-based, and a pom-jar.xml that would build it as a jar contain the dependency defined in the Maven way + info about deployment to Nexus.

We can also think of something more magic that would turn an "eclipse-plugin" Tycho artifact to a Maven "jar" one and push it to Nexus, but this would require to turm OSGi/p2-way dependency to Maven ones. I don't think it's possible to ensure correct matching.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat

Back to the top