Re: [cbi-dev] push pom files upstream

On 05/17/2012 11:43 AM, John Arthorne wrote:
Thanh Ha <thanh.ha@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote on 05/17/2012 11:29:33 AM:
> I do see some generic ones like
> /.project
> target/
>
> I will keep an eye out for more specific ones and include them in
> the 2nd branch for non-poms to be reviewed.

For the .gitignore files, my main question is whether they are needed for the CBI build to work, or if it was a case of "being helpful" and adding them in cases they seemed to be needed. I suspect the latter, in which case I wouldn't bother pushing them upstream. We definitely had a lot of debate in the platform about what our .gitignore files should look like, and we had cases of real code accidentally being ignored, so we need to treat them carefully.

I figured it might help the discussion if I came up with a short list of the the .gitignore modifications that are in CBI.

.project
target/
*.jar
test_support_bin  ### eclipse.platform/ant/org.eclipse.ant.tests.core/.gitignore
ant_tasks/        ### eclipse.platform.ua/org.eclipse.help.base/.gitignore
bundle_tests/     ### rt.equinox.bundles/bundles/org.eclipse.equinox.compendium.tests/.gitignore
scr_test/         ### rt.equinox.bundles/bundles/org.eclipse.equinox.ds.tests/.gitignore
eclipse_*.*       ### rt.equinox.framework/.gitignore

The first 3 items in this list are what was changed in the majority of .gitignores. I generalized *.jar in this list but in the actual files they are specific values such as updatetests.jar.

Hope this helps,

Thanh

Back to the top