[cbi-dev] Use of git subcomponents

Hi Everyone,

A topic from today's cbi-dev meeting is something I'd like to bring to the wider community to get your input on. It is possible that the community assumed the following was something we were recommending as part of CBI, so I'd like to state it clearly and check on the level of support for it.

The bottom line is we'd like to recommend that projects with multiple repositories use a parent/aggregation git repository and submodules. This approach enables controlling selection of which submodules and point in time are necessary to build a larger system. It also makes it very easy to recursively check out all components needed. It may make a lot of sense for this parent git repository to be the existing releng repositories for those that have them.

If you would, please +1, 0, -1 to let us know how you feel about this.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Back to the top