Re: [buckminster-dev] A few general questions about Buckminster

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 3:18 AM, Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2011-04-21 10:48, Paul French wrote:
>> How could it do this if the bundle manifest only contains Import-Package
>> directives? Does it require a Require-Bundle
>> directive instead to be able to resolve other bundle dependencies?
>>
> The approach that I'd recommend is to use a feature at the top that describes your "product"
> or "installable". In this feature, you list all bundles that cannot be
> resolved by other means.

I work on a fairly large OSGi application that builds with Buckminster
and I want to second the "put it in a feature" approach.  We don't use
a "top" feature but manage this throughout our applications.  So for
instance we may have a MarketingFeature and a AccountingFeature.  We
use imported packages as much as possible and manage the specific
bundle versions in the appropriate feature.  This way the team that is
working on the MarketingFeature specifies their bundle versions in
their feature and the team working on the AccountingFeature specifies
their bundle versions in their feature.  This prevents us from having
one giant feature or product file that everyone in the company is just
adding bundles to.

-Phil

Back to the top