Re: [buckminster-dev] Hudson plugin and provisioning

Hi,

today I finally had a chance to have a look at the auto installation/provisioning topic. The good news is, there are 2 generic installers that could be used out-of-the-box as soon as I change the code to rely on Hudson's Tool infrastructure. One installer can execute an arbitrary shell script, the other can extract an archive. This should initially be already enough to support custom buckminster installations.

Leaves the issue of a default installation that gets provisioned from eclipse.org:
-download a p2 director
-extract it
-use the director application to create a buckminster product of a given version
-install all features into the product

> 2. pick a version and install a default buckminster automatically (pretty
 > much all the features on the headless update site I would say)

I like this. Question is how the builder would now what versions that are available. Perhaps we could put up a file of some sort at http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/, i.e. the parent folder of our update sites where we list the versions and their respective feature sets. That way, the Hudson plugin wouldn't need to hard wire the sites and features, and it would give us freedom to move things around.

It took me quite a while to figure out how this is currently working with Ant/Maven/JDK because it's hardly documented and seems to be more magic than actual coding :) Turns out that there is an updates folder on the hudson web server that contains several json files that feed the information into the specific installers:
https://hudson.dev.java.net/updates/hudson.tasks.Ant.AntInstaller.json

Unfortunately no hudson plugin has implemented such a thing yet (ant, maven, and JDK Tools are Hudson-Core functionality, not plugins) so I couldn't really find code examples on how to wire the pieces together so far.

Looks like it will be better to host the file with the version information directly on Hudson instead of eclipse.org to not dance out of line. I will write again once I have a working implementation but it's somewhat more complicated than I thought so it might take some days still...

Best regards,
Johannes

Back to the top