Re: [buckminster-dev] How to improve mapping rules in the Aggregator

On 2009-12-07 22:00, Filip Hrbek wrote:
> I think that a proxy is expected to be resolved into a uniquely defined
> object.
> Upon a request to one of object's properties, if the object is an
> unresolved proxy reference,
> it is lazily resolved and the properties are initialized upon successful
> resolution.

Yes. That sounds like more or less exactly what we want.

> If the resolution is not successful, the properties are not initialized.
> However,
> we need them for the presentation layer. Currently we cheat in that case
> - we parse the
> proxy URI using regexp and create fake properties from it. That's
> something I don't
> like at all.

Because?

> Instead, I would prefer specifying all the request properties in the
> request instance (i.e. current MappedUnit).

You wanted to avoid redundancy. This sounds just like that.

> The presentation of the request would not
> have to analyze whether
> the request is resolvable or not until we want to show status or mapping
> hints to the user.

Is that a good thing? I would prefer if all markers etc. were in place from the start so that I can click through my problem view and perhaps execute suggested fixes.

> When the aggregation build is run, the mapping requests can be easily
> converted into the
> "all.contributed.content" feature's required capabilities (possibly with
> version ranges,
> not only concrete versions), without resolving the requests one by one.
>
> I still can't see any advantage of using EMF proxy mechanism here.

The advantage is that normal model navigation applies. The engine could do exactly what it does today with no changes.

I suspect that we will run into a whole slew of problems if we remove the EMF dependency. A simple change in how the proxy is resolved sounds a lot simpler and safer.

- thomas

Back to the top