[buckminster-dev] The Bucky Book 0.2 rough cut is available

Summer is here - and you may be wondering what you are going to be doing on the beach. Well, here is an item to put on your reading list...

For some time now I have been working on a book (available in PDF, under EPL - link at the end of this post) called "Eclipse Buckminster - The Definitive Guide". As the title suggests, it is supposed to cover "everything".

The 0.2 draft of the book has several chapters in decent shape:
- Buckminster Introduction (based on talk at EclipseCon '09)
- P2 Introduction (parts needs work though)
- RMAP chapter (the rmap explained - not only what to write, but why)
- CQUERY chapter (what and why)
- Properties

Currently about 70 pages of "chapter text" or so are in near finished shape.

And Reference Appendixes
- Installation
- Omni Version
- XML Schema Namespaces Reference

I am hoping that this book help everyone, and especially newbies, as the RMAP and CQUERY artifact are the two first things (after installation) that a user encounters, and with very little documentation as support.

You can help in several ways:
- On a read through, if explanations does not make sense to you, or you think others may misunderstand - please comment. - If you find errors (that Thomas did not spot ;) - he will buy you a beer :) - If you have examples, snippets of XML where you solved a tricky issue with some mapping etc. then please share! You don't have to write it up, just give me some bullets or highlights, and I will turn it into text.

At this point, I don't need input on typography, spelling errors, and missing references/links.

If you have a few comments, then you can just post them here and point to page/section etc. If you want to contribute more, you can add comments to the PDF directly and mail it to me.

The Book is produced using DocBook and XSLT stylesheets, and Apache FOP. Currently the book is not checked into Buckminster SVN, but it will be. And I think we will have a documentation category for Buckmisnter in the Bugzilla.

Let me see - was there anything else... Oh, the link :)

If you are a Friend of Eclipse: http://friends.eclipse.org/downloads/tools/buckminster/doc/BuckyBook.pdf

Otherwise: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/tools/buckminster/doc/BuckyBook.pdf (And if you want to skip the mirror selection, put a &r=1 at the end - but currently the mirrors are not updated, so you may get a 404.)

The PDF is about 6Mb in size. Enjoy...

Regards
Henrik

Back to the top