Re: [buckminster-dev] Dependency Visualization

Well yes,

I don't really want to go through the pain of having to install the EMF plug-ins (ouch!) just to use Buckminster. I really hope you're not going on that path because that sounds really terrible. I hope P2 changes things, but installing EMF has been an incredible pain up to now. Really, that's en emphatic no-no; I'd be really unhappy to see EMF dependencies pulled in, just to use Buckminster. Actually, I have to sit down, now. The idea of all that bloat is making my tummy ache.

Zest is just a wrapper around draw2D, and that's a totally different matter.

Best regards,
Dann

Thomas Hallgren wrote:
Hi Dann,
A Buckminster runtime is one thing, the tools used to maintain it another. The runtime should be kept mean and lean, that's for sure, and I think that is what your concern is about?

One thing that I've learned about EMF the last couple of weeks is that the runtime instances that it creates are very optimized and in many cases far more optimal then the Java classes that people normally write. Booleans are grouped together as bits in integer values, same thing with enums. I'm sure there's a lot of other optimizations going on as well that I haven't found yet. All in all, I'm quite convinced that using EMF to describe things like our CSPEC, RMAP, etc. will give us a smaller, less error prone, and more efficient runtime. The actual models themselves, visualized graphically using the ecore tools diagram editor, will become valuable contributions to the documentation.

Then we have the tools surrounding it all. Editors for the model for instance. We get them for free with EMF. The generated editor can be extended and improved a lot of course, but event the bare-bone generated thing beats the hell out of using a text editor on XML documents. The generated editors are also very well crafted. Mean and lean. Easy to extend and modify.

IMO EMF will become (and in some respect already is) a very valuable tool for us. Not sure I see why you'd think otherwise.

I have no experience with Zest but from the looks of it, it brings us a very good dependency visualization and that is something that we have been longing for for some time now. Installing it will be optional of course.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Dann Martens wrote:
Wait a minute,

EMF? Zest, sure, but I would hope we could keep that behemoth out of there, we're talking a configuration management tool here.

Best regards,
 Dann

Guillaume Chatelet wrote:
Wow Johannes ! This looks great : )

UI is actually an issue in Buckminster and EMF + Zest will do a good job here. Very cool : )

Best regards,
Guillaume