[buckminster-dev] Re: Dependency Visualization

Hi Johannes,
This looks awesome. I'll install and have a closer look today.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Johannes Utzig wrote:
Hi,

as discussed in http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.tools.buckminster/msg01102.html I started working on a zest based component dependency viewer for buckminster. I just finished an early prototype and thought it's enough to get at least an idea and ask you guys what kinds of features you'd like to see in it.

Currently this is (for sake of simplicity) registered as an editor for previously saved .bom files.
It consists of 3 areas

-navigation tree that shows a tree of the component dependencies and is used to drill down on the graph. The selection is linked to the graph viewer so if you select a component in the tree, only this specific subtree is revealed in the graph.

-graph viewer. This is very basic at the moment. It shows the dependency graph with some icons depending on the component type and highlights the direct dependencies of the selected component. Unresolved nodes are shown in red, a double-click on a node reveals the node's cspec and that's about it :)

-settings section. This section lets you choose between some layout algorithms and filters (only platform component filter so far). Filters are applied to both the navigation tree and the graph viewer.

I came up with the following things that should be added:
-better highlighting
-tooltips and properties view that reveal more details of each component
-smart highlighting of paths through the graph (shortest path to root request for example)
-regex based filter (black and white list filter)
-dependency reports generated from a bom with some nice pictures
-zooming
-image export

Now I'd be very interested to hear what's on your wish-list for dependency visualization, so that I can plan on the real implementation. Attached is a screenshot and a bundle.jar including source code. Just throw it in your dropins folder to try, but make sure that zest is installed. Keep in mind, this is just an early prototype for demonstration and my first steps with zest, so the code is super ugly at the moment...

Best regards,
Johannes