Re: [buckminster-dev] Re: Buckminster Roadmap

Hi Scott,

On the contrary, your 'due diligence' is greatly appreciated!

As an Eclipse aficionado, I can assure you Buckminster is part of your community. As you are part of mine.

The Eclipse community.

Best regards,
 Dann

Scott Lewis wrote:
Hi Dann,

Dann Martens wrote:
Hi Scott,

I wouldn't worry too much about ECF being left out. I can assure you that it will not: I think IPC belongs in ECF, one way or another. Any work I'll do on that front, I will offer as a contribution to ECF. I've already discussed this with you on the ECF newsgroup, as I am well aware of the mission statement behind ECF.

However, there is one thing I hope you would agree on: the core IPC library will *not* have ECF abstractions. There should be another layer for that. At the lowest layer, there will be the classical Java I/O primitives, as we all know from java.io and java.nio. My starting point for this layer is the source code available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/clipc (@author Clark N. Hobbie);

I really think there is an opportunity to implement:
    Named Pipes
    Semaphores
    Domain Sockets (Thomas loves these!)
    Shared Memory
    Signals

Interestingly enough, the named pipe equivalent on the win32 platform is in actuality almost (or completely) a domain socket.

There will be a pure Java bundle
    org.eclipse.-.ipc
and native fragments for all the supported platforms, e.g.
    org.eclipse.-.ipc.win32.x86

The example you propose, IPC underneath the remote services API is an
example of this layering, or do you see this differently?

No, I agree completely.  I expect the layering to be something like:

Client Code
RFC 119 Impl
ECF Remote Services API Provider/Impl
<your api/IPC>
Shared memory

So I wouldn't expect the IPC layer to have dependencies on ECF abstractions...rather the ECF provider would have dependencies on your API (and ECF abstractions).

Sorry buckminster community for diversion...Dann can move over to ecf-dev if more specifics are desired.

Scott

Back to the top