[buckminster-dev] Re: Buckminster Roadmap

Hi Dann and Thomas,
A very interesting discussion, and raises issues regarding features I also wanted for a long time (clicking on .java, .cspec, etc. to fire up Eclipse or kick an editor).

When this has been discussed in the past, it has always come up against the issue that there is reluctance to have the standard IDE be directed from the outside for security reasons - and then the initiative has died. The discussions have ended with - those that want this can always install something that does this. And to me that is exactly the problem - you have to have it there from the start to make it useful.

Maybe there are different times now - and well worth trying again. It should be possible to make the IDE have an API (via whatever communication channel the two of you will come up with over that beer :) you were talking about), and make it secure.

BTW, really glad buckminster is working out fine for your team - and really love to learn more about the things you have in the "Fuller" package.

Our vision has always been to support the "one click to get it all" - the source, the tools, the runtime, the tests, etc. As well as being able to do it all locally in your client the same way as when it runs headless on the servers.

Agree that we could provide a better user experience regarding the flow in the UI. Spaces project was one such initiative (convenient publishing), now we worked on easier publishing to p2 repositories (including build, pack, sign, and repo publishing). The UI is still behind though. A lot of effort has gone into the p2 transition - and when doing so, we have put in a lot of effort into p2 itself as we all need it to have good quality.

A neat thing with p2 is that it is possible to install things into an environment from an external agent - still need to find the profiles and p2 data areas to use though. One thing lacking there is the central point that would list all such locations thus enabling to show a user a list of what is installed.

An alternative - that I have used is to do tricks with the internal browser in Eclipse - getting it to recognize things like ".cquery" and running them within the IDE. I would really love to do that from the outside as well... We used RSS OWL to do these tricks as they done a lot of work on the internal browser - we have some really cool things in the Buckminster RSS OWL integration regarding RSS feeds, where the feeds have .cquery links in them. We have not been able to do as much work in this area as we would like to - the p2 work took most of our bandwidth.

Anyway, looking forward to continuing the discussion how to make things really easy for developers/teams to get all the bits where they are supposed to be...

Regards
- henrik

Dann Martens wrote:
Hi Thomas,

<disclaimer>Don't take it as a kick against the shin, only trying to help by being direct and up-front...</disclaimer>

Love that - those kicks are sometimes required :) (Well, as long as it is Thomas' chins :) :))

Back to the top