Re: [buckminster-dev] New to Buckminster

Hi Matt,

first of all I just want to add to Thomas' response. Your input would be very welcome and one of the areas where the documentation should be extended is a bunch of diverse real life examples. We do provide some usage scenarios with examples but we need to build up more of those. And they should serve both as a coverage of Buckminster's usecases and as simple HowTo documents. As Thomas said, you shouldn't worry about the format. But feel free to start things on the Wiki even if you feel that they are incomplete. That would be the easiest way to collaborate on the docs if you want to. I would also encourage you to make suggestions if you have ideas on how to structure the Wiki content. Start a Wiki page for this if you like or post to this list. We have collected some suggestions regarding Wiki Categories that you may use (http://wiki.eclipse.org/Buckminster_Wiki_contributions). As a minimum put [[Category:Buckminster]] on the page and feel free to add new categories if you feel they are missing.

We invested a lot of time last year writing the Buckminster language reference (http://wiki.eclipse.org/Buckminster_component_meta-data_language_%28Reference%29_-_LATEST). It represents one - very formal - entry point to Buckminster. I am always very happy if I see that someone is actually reading this ;-) and feedback on this is also VERY welcome. A primer for this reference is on our list of docs to write and I think the examples you were thinking of would match up perfectly with this.

Adrian, all of the above applies to you as well of course. Your input will be invaluable given the amount of time you spent with Buckminster and of course because you succeeded :-)

You were asking for an example query/rmap to try. One that I can recommend is
http://www.eclipse.org/spaces/queries/spaces.cquery
for the Eclipse Spaces project. It is not resolving as big a project as the Buckminster project or STP project CQueries but it is not trivial either. Spaces is also using Buckminster under the covers. If you have any problems let me know.

Looking forward to your contributions.

   Stefan

Matt Hollingsworth wrote:
Adrian,

I have also spent quite some time wrestling with it (and actually haven't
managed to make my own rmap/cquery that works), which is what made me decide
to do this a bit more systematically, and I figured that while I was at it,
I might as well write down what I'm doing.  And I am quite interested in
coming up with lots of examples... at least one for each feature.  For
example, I couldn't find any examples for the things like the match tag, or
basically any of the rewriting features of the rmaps, so that will be one of
the first things that I do, after double-checking all the existing docs.
Not to mention that I would like to have a *really* simple example that just
gives a name for a project in a repository and have Buckminster check it out
for you.  I really like the approach where you take the simplest situation
possible and add more and more features to it to construct further examples,
so that's probably the approach that I will take unless someone has other
suggestions.

  As far as I'm concerned, any input that you could give would be very
welcome :).
-Matt