Re: [buckminster-dev] CSPEC Location

Hi Evan,
I think what you're describing sounds like a good match for what Buckminster is targeted to help with. While Buckminster certainly knows how to use plug-ins and features, it is not limited to that.

We don't generate .classpath and .project files since these are normally checked in to a project. We don't do that for any type of project. So my recommendation would be to create these files with desired settings for JRE, project natures, etc. and then check them into CVS.

The difference between plug-ins and normal Java project is simply that the plug-in contains more information that we can make use of. As you have already discovered, this information must be entered manually when it's not obtainable form other sources.

A good start for you is probably to add a buckminster.cspec file to each project and declare all the dependencies there. Once you have that, and one top-level project that can serve as the root of things, a query can check everything out in one go. Next step would be to add the actions that build each project and then finally the actions that tie the things together.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Evan Broderick wrote:
Hi Thomas,
Thanks for the reply. The project I'm trying to "buckminsterize" is not
an eclipse plugin or a feature, so I guess I'll have to use the
buckminster.cpec for my meta-data.
I was wondering if I could describe to you what I would like to
accomplish with buckminster and get your opinion on how feasible it is
(and maybe get some advice on how to move forward)...

Basically, we have a large java project in cvs which is pretty difficult
to set up in eclipse, especially for new hires. No .classpath files,
.project files, or jar dependencies are checked in with the source. When
a developer wants to work on the project in eclipse, it obviously takes
a while to find all these dependencies in order to configure the build
path correctly.
So really, all I would like to do with Buckminster right now would be to
checkout the project, set up the source directories, and set up the
build path in one step. I'm starting to think that Buckminster is really
more of a tool for eclipse features/plugins, so would it be able to help
me out with my situation?

Thanks, Evan