Re: [buckminster-dev] Materializing workspace using PDEMapProvider

Hi Todd,
Our own RMAP, the http://www.eclipse.org/buckminster/samples/rmaps/dogfood2.rmap can be a good source of information. Look at the provider for org.eclipse.ecf. That single provider will be able to find all sources that ECF maps using their PDE maps.

In a PDEMapProvider, the <uri format="..."> must point to the folder containing the maps. If you have several such folders, you need several providers. It's up to you if you want to use one single searchPath that includes many providers or if you want to have a more fine-grained resolution that uses several searchPaths with one provider in each. The latter is likely to resolve quicker but it requires some natural way of defining locator patterns based on component names.

Buckminster is capable of resolving things transitively. So if you have a component A with dependenceis to B and C, you only need to query for A for all three to be materialized. A in this case may for instance be an Eclipse feature listing other features or plug-ins or an eclipse plug-in with "Require-Bundle" clause in its manifest.

If you don't have a natural top-level feature, you can create a buckminster.cspec that has dependencies to your top-level components. I don't know how your component hierarchy is constituted but in most cases you don't have to list more then a few top-level components. The rest will be brought in transitively.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Todd_Lee@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi there,

As an initial task, I'd like to try using Buckminster to materialize a new
developer workspace (just like the Harry/Tom usage case on the wiki).
Currently we use team project sets/PDE maps in our own 'org.eclipse.releng'
bundle. The documentation is not completely clear as to how one might
leverage the maps when resolving dependencies and materializing a
workspace.

To an example:

we've got /folder/path/in/cvs/org.eclipse.releng

which, when checked out has a number of sub directories including a map
directory ie -

org.eclipse.releng/
      |-maps/
           |- platform.map  (declares feature: 'my.com.platform-feature'
and plugin 'my.com.platform'
           .... more .map files

Of course, the workspace includes source for many features/plugins etc,
spread across a number of the .map files (essentially grouped by
feature...)

Looking at the documentation, I'm not entirely certain as to the best way
to materialize all of these components using the map files. Do I need a
single cspec that declares all of the features as dependencies and then use
the PDEMapProvider to resolve the actual components? Kind of in the dark
here...

If you can point me in the direction of some more in depth documentation
regarding the use of the PDEMapProvider, or even better yet, some examples,
I'd be very grateful!

Thanks
Todd

AMI Semiconductor - "Silicon Solutions for the Real World"
NOTICE: This electronic message contains information that may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete the copy you received.

Back to the top