Re: [buckminster-dev] some questions on Buckminster

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your detail explain.

- I'm working on STP build system using Buckminster based on Adrian's work.

- About your answer on my third question:
a) If one project depend on several other Eclipse projects, then it's better to prepare them(binary) before kick off building? e.g. STP depend on WTP, DTP etc, for headless, I don't think downloading/updating them automatically in every building is good b) On example of Buckminster building, could you give me more detail on nightly of Buckminster? i.e. headless
c) When I invoke "build.product", does it run testing too?

Cheers,
--Alex

Thomas Hallgren wrote:
Hi Alex,
answers inline...

Alex Chen wrote:

- as a BA&D tool, does Buckminster support testing(unit test/system test) in its life cycle? i.e. before deployment I want to run unit test/system testing using Buckminster command, especial for Eclipse plugins

Buckminster supports actions and actions can call on ant. Ant in turn can call anything so the short answer is yes, Buckminster supports testing.

If you want to call Eclipse JUnit tests for plug-ins you can do so using the Eclipse launcher. Unfortunately, a large part of the Eclipse launcher configurations etc. is in the UI parts of Eclipse but they can still be used from headless mode. We are currently working on a pure headless "JUnit for plugins" launcher for Buckminster but it is not ready for production just yet.

- Are there some example projects(Eclipse or not) using Buckminster in them build system I can refer to?

The Eclipse release train (Ganymede) is assembled using Buckminster. Several proprietary projects use Buckminster to build and package their products. Barco in Belgium is one example (they provided the Subversive support). The Mission Control suite for BEA JRockit is another. Cloudsmith uses it to build and assemble their website.

Your company has been looking into using Buckminster for STP for some time now (my contacts have been Adrian Skehill and Oisin Hurley). I'm not sure how your work relate to that?

- Does Buckminster build itself using Buckminster?

Yes of course. In order to see it in action you can do the following:

1. Create a target platform that contains the Eclipse 3.3.1.1 IDE and the RCP delta-pack.
2. Install Buckminster with support for maven, svn, and pde.
3. Open the cquery at http://www.eclipse.org/buckminster/samples/queries/buckminster-dev.cquery
4. Run resolve and materialize from the cquery editor.
5. Right click on the project 'org.eclipse.buckminster'. Select "Buckminster" -> "Invoke action" -> "build.product"

This will build the Buckminster product into ${user.tmpdir}/buckminster (the location can be changed by setting the buckminster.output.root property).

The build can also be done in headless mode too using the Buckminster 'resolve' and 'perform' commands.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren