[buckminster-dev] Re: Improving the Maven support by using the Maven libraries

Hi Carlos,

Carlos Sanchez wrote:
Hi,

As discussed with Thomas and Henrik at EclipseCON we are willing to move
the code we have to integrate Maven in Eclipse from Kepler into Buckminster.

That would help Buckminster by leveraging the Maven libs for parsing
poms and also for dependency resolution (related bugs #165198 and #174975)

Indeed. Your contributions are very welcome. We really look forward to be able to use real maven libraries and replace our own, somewhat limited, repository reader.

We'll be renaming packages and adding the license info and then we'll
post the code in an issue.

One thing that I'd like to ask of you is if you could provide a complete list of all jars that will be required (the full transitive closure). Exact versions would help and of course their respective licenses. I need this in order to get Maven ip-zilla approved so that we can embed and redistribute the libraries from eclipse.org. The sooner that process can start, the better.

One thing I wasn't able to do yet is enabling Buckminster in a
previously existing Maven2 project (with the pom.xml file) so any hints
are appreciated

Up to when we met at EclipseCon, the maven integration in Buckminster was all about reading pre-compiled artifacts from maven repositories. The integration provided a very limited recognition of a maven source project. It was easy to implement and as I showed you during that 30 sec demo in the power-up lounge, it's now functional. At this time its only in our SVN. I will upload a new version to our update site tomorrow.

Once you've made the upgrade to that version Buckminster will recognize a pom.xml (or project.xml) file in the component root. You might want to add the Buckminster classpath container to your .classpath. The entry should look like this:

<classpathentry kind="con" path="org.eclipse.buckminster.jdt.requiredComponents"/>

You can try it out right now if you're running an Eclipse self-hosted set-up from our latest source.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Back to the top