[buckminster-dev] Re: Field report

Thanks for the field report!
It is great to hear about how Buckminster is delivering value and being used
even when the documentation has more holes than cheese :)

BTW - the Buckminster Wiki has moved and is now available at
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Buckminster - this is where new
documentation and examples will appear.

Regards
- henrik

"Thomas Spiessens" <thomas.spiessens@xxxxxxxxx> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi guys,
> just wanted to give you an update on how we are working with Buckminster.
> We currently have one product (a distributed application) we are working
> on which consists in total of 24 Eclipse projects (mixture of regular
> Java, plugin and feature projects). All of these are stored in our
> Subversion repository.
>
> The developers themselves use the cquery to populate their workspace and
> we have a number of Ant builders running that do some additional tasks
> during incremental and full builds (e.g. packaging and copying JAR files
> to certain locations).
>
> We are using Buckminster to control our build and continuous integration
> process in a headless mode as well.  So far we have been using Buckminster
> to retrieve and build all of the projects, but we are using PDE to export
> the product. We have hooked this headless process into our CruiseControl
> server so we get continuous integration support.
>
> As you see, Buckminster is being used in real life situations :)
>

> We do have a number of things we want to be able to do with Buckminster
> (all of these in the context of a headless build):
>
> 1. Being able to export the product using Buckminster (perhaps by a new
> Buckminster command). It is a bit annoying to be using the PDE build
> because PDE expects a particular directory structure of the feature and
> plugin projects. This means that after the materialization we need to
> reorganize the directory structure through a script. If Buckminster would
> be able to export a product, we might not have to do this, making our
> script a bit simpler and easier to maintain in the future.
>
> 2. Some of the projects are also dependent on a number of JBoss libraries.
> These libraries become available after register a new JBoss server
> (available after installing the JBossIDe plugin). The way we do that now
> in headless mode is by copying a number of files in the metadata folder of
> the workspace that was created by Buckminster after the materialization.
> We were thinking of writing our own Buckminster command for registering
> that server.
>
> 3. Generating Javadoc from Buckminster
>
> 4. Running all of our unit test, but we are currently investigating that.
>
> 5. We are also in the progress of investigating the actor mechanism.
>
> Keep up the good work,
> Thomas.

Back to the top