Re: [bpmn2-modeler-dev] New release and Bug Hunt Contest announcement

Title:
Hi Bob,

Thank you for the answers, My comments are inline
Il 03/09/2013 16:46, Bob Brodt ha scritto:
Hi Andrea,

Thanks for your comments. I'll try to answer these as best I can...

1) As you know, the BPMN 2.0 specification defines four types of diagrams: Process, Collaboration, Choreography and Conversation. Conversations are typically thought of in terms of a Collaboration (essentially messages exchanged between two or more participants) hence the BPMN2 Modeler New File wizard only provides for the first three. The tool palette is restricted by the editor to only those tools that make sense for the type of diagram being worked on. Process diagrams describe processes that are internal to an Organization (or "business entity") and therefore represent a single Pool (a.k.a. "Participant"). It would not make sense to allow creation of another Pool (which would represent a different organization) within the Process diagram. This is what the Collaboration diagram is intended for: each Pool represents a different organization, and the contents of the Pools represent the activities and processes internal to that organization.
I'm not sure about "Pool - Organization" mapping. From what i undesrtand a Pool represent the boundaries of a business process within an Organization.
So it's correct to say that if you're representing a case when you want to represent collaboration between process of different organizations you need two pools.

But in my opinion two pools could be used also to represent two different business process within the same organization. For this reason i still prefer to use pools to represent boundaries of busineess processes. Lanes insted represent group / roles within the organization.

I'm still prefer to use a Pool even if i've only one process within an Organization.

If you want to model inter-departmental processes (e.g. sales, manufacturing, warehouse, shipping, etc.) in a Process diagram, you should be using Lanes to represent the various departments.
Ok i think we agree on that.

Whereas Process diagrams are used to model the various activities, decisions and exception handling of a business process, Choreography diagrams focus more on the information ("Messages") exchanged between participants, and the sequencing of these exchanges.

As you have probably already seen, the BPMN2 Modeler is a multipage editor, and allows you to create any number and types of diagrams within the same file.
When the editor open after you fill the wizard i see a single page editor. I'am able to see the multiple tabs only when i enable "Show Source View" on the diagram.
Are you referring to this when you say Multipage Editor??
2) Really? I haven't run into this problem. If you can reproduce this error, please file a bug. Maybe we can arrange a screen sharing session so you can demonstrate the problem you're seeing?
Follow this steps:

a) New Generic BPMN2 Diagram
b) In the dialog boc choose Collaboration, The editor open configuring two Pools "Initiating Pool" and "Non Initiating Pool"
c) Select "Lane" from The Palette and add to "Initiating Pool". Lane 1 Appears
d) Repeat Previous point: Lane 2 appears to the palette.

The pool area is not divided horizontally and the lanes are overlapping
I'm using the following version ( take from Eclipse installed features )

 BPMN2 Editor    0.2.7.201308301511    org.eclipse.bpmn2.modeler.feature.feature.group    Eclipse.org

3) OK, I'll take this into consideration. Can you please file an enhancement request at bugzilla?
  Ok I'll do.

4) Auto layout is a feature that is already planned for a future release. As you know, BPMN 2.0 defines both a business model as well as a presentation model ("DI" or Diagram Interchange model) and typically a BPMN2 diagram file will contain both of these metadata. This is evident in the Outline Viewer, which offers three types of views: "Business Model", "Diagram Interchange Model" and "Thumbnail".

It is valid, however, to create BPMN2 diagram files that contain ONLY business model data, and the editor handles automatic creation of the presentation model if it is missing, and does a reasonable job of laying out these types of files.
I've try the following use case:

1) Created a simple collaboration diagram ( with one pool ), with the modeler added some stuff to the pool ( a very simple process with "start" and "end" event two task and
two parallel gateways ).
2) Then i closed the editor, opened the bpmn file manually and removed the BPMN DI ( xml elements ).
3) Reopened the file with the editor. The editor is able to recreate the bpmn di information but the pool is lost.
4) I laso try to do the same with a collaboration diagram with two pools with two process, but it seems pool information will be ignored when BPMN DI information
are rebuilt.

5) A Programmer's Guide as well as a User's Guide are currently in the works. In the meantime, there are several example plug-ins as well as a screencast [1] that demonstrate a lot of the extension features available. I haven't thought about a DnD extension point yet, but please feel free to file an enhancement request in bugzilla.

Thank you for the link i'll definitely take a look.

Regards,
Bob

[1] http://eclipse.org/bpmn2-modeler/videos/CustomTask-Example-part1.htm