[bpel-dev] RE: Validation and model references

Hi Michal,

We ran across a similar problem while designing a debugger interface for the BPEL editor (actually "designing" is probably exaggerated, let's call it "thinking out loud" ;^)

We are targeting the PXE engine which has been contributed to open source by Intalio and is currently in incubation as an apache project (Ode). Our initial findings are that PXE does provide some level of debugging support, but apparently object references for setting breakpoints, etc. are based on BPEL source line numbers. Using line numbers, in our opinion, is not a very robust method because sources need to be kept exactly in sync on both design time and runtime and could lead to problems (e.g. what if some unsuspecting user edits the BPEL source to insert comments, reformat the text for pretty printing, whatever, without redeploying...)

We finally decided that XPath is the way to go for referencing BPEL activities, and we have already started work towards adding this support in PXE. Which brings up the question: any idea what the debug API looks like on jBPM? I've just started playing with this and am having a difficult time getting the gpd installed and running :S

BTW, I have been in contact with Simon and have offered one or two Sybase resources (i.e. warm bodies ;) to help out with whatever still needs to be done in BPEL Designer to get it to a timely 1.0 release. Let me know where we can help out.

Bob Brodt, Chief S/W Elf, Sybase Inc.

P.S. I'm a newbie at posting to this mailing list - how can I respond to specific topic threads? I'm using Outlook Express, is there a different email client I should be using? Thanks.

Back to the top