From: Michal Chmielewski [mailto:michal.chmielewski@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 26 April 2006 00:33
To: BPEL Designer project developer discussions.
Cc: Bruno Wassermann
Subject: Re: [bpel-dev] BPEL deployment to JBI

Bruno would be the man hit up for this information.

-m

Philip Dodds wrote:

Hi,

I recently picked up working on some eclipse extensions for the Apache Servicemix project (I did them a while ago but time was a little pressed recently!)

Anyway I was wondering if there was a good starting place for documentation as I would like to try and get the BPEL eclipse project capable of deploying into the BPEL service engine within ServiceMix.

Thanks in advance :)

Michal Chmielewski, CMST, Oracle Corp,
W:650-506-5952 / M:408-209-9321

"Manuals ?! What manuals ? Son, it's Unix, you just gotta know."
--- Begin Message ---
Title: [bpel-dev] Rutime Extension Point Requirements

Hi All,

I have put together a (very high-level) list of requirements on an extension
point for third-party runtime support. This stuff is rather basic and maybe
obvious, but hopefully can help with developing such an extension point.
Please let me know what you think, questions, etc.

- Deployment wizard
        + First page has a list of current engines process can be deployed
to      in current plug-in configuration. Installed and enabled runtime
plug-   ins (extensions) should be added to this list/be able to add
themselves.
        + Second page of wizard has a configuration page that extensions can
provide to allow manipulation of such items as host address,    deployment
directory, transfer mechanism, etc.
        + Progress view to indicate deployment progress (but this may just
be      a requirement on an extension itself rather than the extension
point).

- Preference Pages
        + Extensions can add their own engine configuration page to the
editor's preference pages to store the same type of information as
indicated above across projects/permanently.

- Access to Process Represenation
        + Extensions can get hold of a copy of the .bpel file for the
process         which is to be deployed.
        + Extensions can obtain access to an instance of the editor's EMF
model representing the process.
        + Extensions can get hold of all WSDL files involved in defining the
process.

- Validation
        + The editor should not allow user to deploy (i.e. display warning
message instead of deployment wizard), if there are any outstanding
validation errors.
        + The editor should save the process and validate it in case user
requested deployment whilst editor state dirty. Or could just prompt
        user to do so.
        + Extensions have access to problems view to communicate any engine-
specific validation problems to user.

That's the first set of requirements I can think of. It would also be nice
to figure out how runtime extensions could enable a form of real-time
in-process map monitoring, but maybe that's something to think about at a
later stage.

Regards,

-- Bruno

Bruno Wassermann

Research Fellow

University College London      Tel: +44 (0)20 7679 0369 (Direct Dial)
Dept. of Computer Science      Fax: +44 (0)20 7387 1397
Gower Street
London WC1E 6BT                http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/B.Wassermann
United Kingdom