[birt-report-engine-dev] Catch NullPointerException

Hi there,

I'm totally new in this forum so I hope, you can help me. We just updated
BIRT in our company and now we have the following problem:
If a user is entering some parameters to our reporting and there is no data
for that in the database, we get a NullPointerException. Now I tried to
catch this with a "catch(java.lang.NullPointerException)" and give a
customized error instead. Something like:

System.out.println("For this parameters there is no data. Retry please.");

We tried it before and after rendering and it ran through but unfortunately
it didn't work.

Does anybody now how to catch this exception in general and print a
customized message instead?

Thank you very much,
best regards