Re: [birt-report-engine-dev] Running BIRT from source code

Eric,

Couple of resources you may want to take a look at.

First, I have several example projects that are in Subversion that show how to run BIRT.  They are described in this post on BirtWorld.  I believe that the birt_api is setup to run against 2.3.0 now, but there are several report engine libraries available there.

You may also want to have a look at
http://birtworld.blogspot.com/2008/04/testing-and-debug-of-reports.html

In terms of running the reports from source, it turns out that it is a bit trickier than you might want.  The problem is that ReportEngine code does not have a source build.  What I typically do is get the source build of the All-In-One package and use that to attach source to the libs in the ReportEngine.  It is a bit painful, but quicker than trying to pull all of the source.  I describe that here.

Finally, if you really want to pull all of the source, I would recommend using Team Project Sets.  I have an article on how to use Team Project Sets here.
http://birtworld.blogspot.com/2008/09/team-project-sets-for-birt.html

Hope this helps,

Scott

Eric P. Mangold wrote:
Hello gentlemen,

I'm using the Report Engine API to run reports, but I'm getting a
BirtException  when I call the run() method on the task.

I have no idea what is causing this exception, and there isn't any
message associated with it.

I would like to run BIRT from source code so that I can see where
exactly the exception is being raised.

I'm following the instructions here:
http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/build/buildInstructions.php

the CVS checkout is successful... then I add references to the
necessary birt projects to my project properties.

I try to build my workspace and I get about 50 BILLION errors... no idea why...

I've tried this with Eclipse 3.2 and 3.4.1... using CVS
BIRT_2_3_1_RC1_20080903 and also CVS HEAD.

I'm new to both Java and Eclipse, and at this point I'm completely lost :)

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction...

Thanks in advance,
Eric P. Mangold