From: birt-report-engine-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Stanley Wang
Sent: Wed 6/8/2005 9:40 AM
To: For developers on the BIRT Report Engine project
Subject: RE: [birt-report-engine-dev] PDF generating

Actuate as of now does not use iText for PDF generation. One reason we
used FOP is that it is CSS-based, though it falls short in some areas in
term of functionalities. BIRT is an open-framework, so it should not be
too hard to write a PDF emitter based on iText. In fact, it would
benefit some users significantly.
I started browsing the Actuate site because of this question on my mailing-list:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.lib.itext.general/16198
Seems like people are combining Actuate Software and iText. By clicking some links and Googling I learned about the BIRT project. If I find the time this summer, I'll take a look at it. While I am preparing the book, I am writing a new parser that gets its style attributes from a CSS file. It's still experimental code. Maybe I can tune the code to meet the demands of PDF generation from BIRT. I don't have the time to start with this the coming weeks, but I'll post something on the mailing-list as soon as I have studied the possibilities.
best regards,
Bruno

Back to the top