From: birt-report-designer-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:birt-report-designer-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Corcoran
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 7:52 AM
To: birt-report-designer-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [birt-report-designer-dev] OdaDataSetHandle ref forexisting.rptdesign template

The BIRT apis do seem to have a big learning curve, It's frustrating that

they are still being fundamentally changed it seem; we were disappointed to

find after purchasing the 2 BIRT addison wesley books 2 weeks ago, the

examples given around this functionality are already out of date with BIRT

2.2.

So now I have:

EngineConfig config = new EngineConfig();

config.setBIRTHome("birt-runtime-2_2_2/ReportEngine");

Platform.startup(config);

IReportEngineFactory factory = (IReportEngineFactory)

Platform.createFactoryObject(IReportEngineFactory.EXTENSION_REPORT_ENGINE_FACTORY)

IReportEngine engine = factory.createReportEngine(config)

IReportRunnable design =

engine.openReportDesign('reports/myreport.rptdesign')

ReportDesignHandle report = (ReportDesignHandle) design.getDesignHandle();

DataSourceHandle dso = report.findDataSet('TestSet') // your suggestion

this gives:

Unexpected exception: Cannot cast object

'org.eclipse.birt.report.model.api.OdaDataSetHandle@1108727' with class

'org.eclipse.birt.report.model.api.OdaDataSetHandle' to class

'org.eclipse.birt.report.model.api.DataSourceHandle

Any help appreciated.