[birt-pmc] The BIRT Git repository, issue tracking, and committers

Greetings BIRT PMC.

AFAICT, the BIRT project's Git repository has no new commits for a full month. 17 bugs [1] have changed status to RESOLVED in that period of time (which indicates that there must certainly have been some corresponding commit activity). We had previously discussed having the BIRT committers work directly against the open source repository. How is that progressing?

As we have previously discussed, the distributed nature of Git makes it very natural for development to occur in a clone. But the eclipse.org repository needs to be kept current.

Almost all of the commits contain an internal bug tracking number. AFAICT, only one commit in the month of June contains a reference to Bugzilla.

We previously discussed the separate issue tracker [2]. After some thought, I don't believe that it is appropriate for these issue tracker numbers to appear in the open source project's log. At best, they are meaningless to a potential contributor or adopter; at worst, they are an indicator to a potential contributor or adopter that the project is not open.

I don't believe that creating a Bugzilla record for every commit makes any sense. But I have to believe that at least some of these commits have conversations behind them that are not being captured in a transparent manner.

As we have previously discussed, it's difficult for contributors to participate in the project when it appears to be in development behind a corporate firewall.

I've also noticed that the BIRT project has added only two committers in the last four years (only one in the last three years). I find this odd. How is it that the project has had basically no turnover?

Wayne

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?list_id=6312385&classification=BIRT&chfieldto=Now&query_format=advanced&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2013-06-18&chfieldvalue=RESOLVED
[2] http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/birt-pmc/msg00479.html
--
Wayne Beaton
Director of Open Source Projects, The Eclipse Foundation

Back to the top