[birt-pmc] Moving to GIT

All,

I had a short email exchange with Chris Aniszczyk about BIRT moving to GIT.  His responses are shown below.  One of the things that came up was that there are other projects that are looking to move to GIT in the short term, CDT for instance.  I think that they may setup a forum dedicated to migration to GIT issues to give us a way to get help/advice.

It would be great to see BIRT move to Git! In terms of resources of learning Git, the Pro Git book (http://progit.org/book/) is the best source and is free. In terms of how to work with Eclipse in Git, I highly recommend the EGit User Guide

(http://wiki.eclipse.org/EGit/User_Guide)

My words of wisdom are that it's going to be a bit of pain in the beginning but you'll get a lot of benefits from it. From increased exposure via GitHub, easier to deal with branching and support old releases (and so on). I recently helped the LinuxTools project migrate to Git and Maven Tycho for building and things went pretty smoothly.

This is what we did...

1) first decide whether you want one big Git repository or multiple ones... in your case I think one Git repository is fine... it's always better to start with one big repository when you are first migrating to Git...

2) Read this guide: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Git/Migrating_to_Git

3) Create testing BIRT repository on GitHub.com and ensure that it has what you want

4) once you can build and verify that the repo works, push that repo to git.eclipse.org and you're good to go

Also, you may want to consider looking at migrating your build technology to something like Maven Tycho. It's easier to work with and integrates nicely within the Hudson CI system. It's also easier for your contributors to build BIRT when you move to Tycho.

Scott

Back to the top