[birt-pmc] BIRT Web Site

All,

I have a couple of items in regards to the BIRT Web Site.

I feel that the first page, the BIRT Home page, should be limited to a single (1024x768) page (no scroll down).  In general, I would prefer that all of the pages in the BIRT share this characteristic but realize it may not be practical for some pages.

There is an interesting Bugzilla bug that addresses the standard page navigation.  There should be a vote on this bug on Friday at the next planning council on Friday Feb.3.  I recommend that you review and vote on this issue if you have any opinions.  I have all ready posted my two cents on that site.

I think that the results of this bug may have some impact on our planning for the BIRT web site.  I think that we should defer any decisions on the BIRT web site navigation until next week after the planning council decison.  In the mean time I think there is plenty of content that needs to be generated that will be appropriate no matter how the site is organized.

I think that the structure that is being proposed will server the requirements of the BIRT team quite well and I can see a lot of benefit to having a common basic structure between all of the Eclipse project.  The proposal was put forward by the AJDT and Mylar projects and they have implmented demo sites at the following locations.

http://www.eclipse.org/ajdt/
http://eclipse.org/mylar

In my bug submission, I recommended a couple of changes you can read at the site but the high level outline that I put forward is:
<Project> Home: News, Description, {Dashboard}
* Users:
  * Getting Started
  * Downloads
  * Bugs
  - Demos
  - New Features
  - Articles
  - Tutorial
  - User Guide
* Integrators:
  * API Roadmap
  - Deploying
  - Integration
  - Extension
* Contributors: CVS, Dev Mailing Lists, {Bugzilla Queries}
  * Contributing
  - Developer FAQ
  - Meetings
  - Reference
* About: Description, {Dashboard}
  * Team: Leadership, Committers, Contributors
  * Plan: Project Plan
  * Legal: IP Log, {License/dependency Info}

Scott

Back to the top